দোৰোণ এবিধ লেমিয়াছি (Lamiaceae ) গোত্ৰৰ 'লেউকাছ" (Leucas) জাতিৰ অন্তৰ্গতঃ তৃণজাতীয় উদ্ভিদ। ইয়াক ঠাইবিশেষে অনেক নামেৰে জনা যায়, যদিও অসমত ই দোৰোণ শাক বুলিয়ে জনাজাত। ভাৰতবৰ্ষৰ সকলো অঞ্চলতে উপলব্ধ এইবিধ তৃণ বিভিন্ন ধৰণৰ বনৌষধি আৰু কৃষিকাৰ্য্যৰ সহায়ক হিছাপে ব্যৱহাৰ কৰা হয়।
Habitat and ecology[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
Leucas aspera is typically found in dry, open, sandy soil and is abundant in areas with waste.
Leucas aspera is an annual plant that can reach heights of 15–60 cm.
- The leaves of the Leucas aspera can be obtuse, linear or linearly lanceolate or petiolate. They can reach up to lengths of 8.0 cm, and be 1.25 cm broad. The length of petioles is typically 2.5 to 6 mm long. The leaves epidermis is covered in a thick waxy cuticle and is traversed with stomata.
- The stem quadrangular and contains a wide stele. The epidermis of the stem is covered in a thick waxy cuticle and contains few traversed stomata. Typically in younger stems the xylem tissue is radially organized and the parenchymatous pholem tissue is very narrow. As the stem ages the pholem tissue widens and can be found on both sides of the radial xylem tissue.
- The roots of the Leucas aspera contains epidermal cells which are very narrow and closely packed together. The cell walls of the epidermal cells are very thin, flattened and straight. The parenchyma in the cortex contains thick walls. The parenchyma cells are polygonally shaped and contain a large amount of starch grains. The cambium separates the phloem and xylem, which are globose to subglobose.
Flowers and fruit[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
- Flowers on the Leucas aspera are white, small, and directly attached to the base without a peduncleor stalk. The flowers are held together in auxiliary whorls or dense terminals. They contain 6 mm long bracts that are bristle-tipped, linear, acute and are "ciliate with long slender hairs".
- The Calyx is 8 to 13 mm in length. It has a tubular shape. The bottom half is glabrous and membraneous, upper half is hispid and ribbed. It contains a small mouth and is very oblique. In addition, it also has small, short triangular teeth.
- The corolla on the Leucas aspera is 1 cm in length and the tube is 5 mm in length. It is annulate in the middle portion and pubescent on the upper region. The calyx is "densely white-woolly", upper lip is approximately 3 mm in length and the lower lip is approximately 6 mm in length. The middle lobe is rounded, obviate and the lateral lobes are subacute and small in size.
- The fruit of the Leucas aspera is 2.5 mm long. They are nutlets that are brown, smooth and oblong in shape. The outer portion of the fruit is rounded while the inner portion is angular.
It is a herb used in food to provide fragrance to food.
Traditional medicine[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
leusas aspera is reported to have antifungal, prostaglandin inhibitory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, antinociceptive and cytotoxic activities. Leusas aspera is used in the traditional medicine of the Philippines to treat scorpion bites. It is also an antipyretic, it is a herb that has the ability to help reduce fevers.
In some forms of traditional medicine, the steam formed by crushing the Samoolam, also known as the plant's flowers, seeds, roots, berries, bark or leaves, can be inhaled to help treat nasal congestion, coughing, cold, headache and fever. In addition the juices of the flower can be extracted and used to help treat sinusitis, as well as headaches. The juice of the flowers can also be used to treat intestinal worms in children.