Wikigraphists Bootcamp (2018 India)[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
It is being planned to organize Wikigraphists Bootcamp in India, please fill out the survey form to help the organizers. Your responses will help organizers understand what level of demand there is for the event (how many people in your community think it is important that the event happens). At the end of the day, the participants will turn out to have knowledge to create drawings, illustrations, diagrams, maps, graphs, bar charts etc. and get to know to how to tune the images to meet the QI and FP criteria. For more information and link to survey form, please visit Talk:Wikigraphists Bootcamp (2018 India). MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 12:43, 15 January 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Wikigraphists Bootcamp Survey Reminder[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
As it has already been notified about Wikigraphists Bootcamp in India, for training related to creation drawings, illustrations, diagrams, maps, graphs, bar charts etc. and to tune the images to meet the QI and FP criteria, please fill the survey form linked from Talk:Wikigraphists Bootcamp (2018 India). It'll help the organizers to assess the needs of the community, and plan accordingly. Please ignore if already done. Krishna Chaitanya Velaga 03:02, 21 January 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
International Mother Langage Day and Open Data Day Wikidata Edit-a-thon[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
- Please translate the message to your language, if applicable
We are happy to inform you that a national level Wikidata editing campaign "IMLD-ODD 2018 Wikidata India Edit-a-thon" on content related to India is being organized from from 21 February 2018 to 3 March 2018. This edit-a-thon marks International Mother Language Day and Open Data Day.
Please learn more about this event: here.
Please consider participating in the event, by joining here.
You may get a list of suggested items to work on here.
Please let us know if you have question. -- Titodutta using MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 07:12, 21 February 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Read this in another language • Subscription list for this multilingual newsletter
Did you know?
Did you know that you can now use the visual diff tool on any page?
Sometimes, it is hard to see important changes in a wikitext diff. This screenshot of a wikitext diff (click to enlarge) shows that the paragraphs have been rearranged, but it does not highlight the removal of a word or the addition of a new sentence.
If you enable the Beta Feature for "Visual differences", you will have a new option. It will give you a new box at the top of every diff page. This box will let you choose either diff system on any edit.
Click the toggle button to switch between visual and wikitext diffs.
In the visual diff, additions, removals, new links, and formatting changes will be highlighted. Other changes, such as changing the size of an image, are described in notes on the side.
This screenshot shows the same edit as the wikitext diff. The visual diff highlights the removal of one word and the addition of a new sentence.
You can read and help translate the user guide, which has more information about how to use the visual editor.
Since the last newsletter, the Editing Team has spent most of their time supporting the 2017 wikitext editor mode, which is available inside the visual editor as a Beta Feature, and improving the visual diff tool. Their work board is available in Phabricator. You can find links to the work finished each week at mw:VisualEditor/Weekly triage meetings. Their current priorities are fixing bugs, supporting the 2017 wikitext editor, and improving the visual diff tool.
- The 2017 wikitext editor is available as a Beta Feature on desktop devices. It has the same toolbar as the visual editor and can use the citoid service and other modern tools. The team have been comparing the performance of different editing environments. They have studied how long it takes to open the page and start typing. The study uses data for more than one million edits during December and January. Some changes have been made to improve the speed of the 2017 wikitext editor and the visual editor. Recently, the 2017 wikitext editor opened fastest for most edits, and the 2010 WikiEditor was fastest for some edits. More information will be posted at mw:Contributors/Projects/Editing performance.
- The visual diff tool was developed for the visual editor. It is now available to all users of the visual editor and the 2017 wikitext editor. When you review your changes, you can toggle between wikitext and visual diffs. You can also enable the new Beta Feature for "Visual diffs". The Beta Feature lets you use the visual diff tool to view other people's edits on page histories and Special:RecentChanges. 
- Wikitext syntax highlighting is available as a Beta Feature for both the 2017 wikitext editor and the 2010 wikitext editor. 
- The citoid service automatically translates URLs, DOIs, ISBNs, and PubMed id numbers into wikitext citation templates. It is very popular and useful to editors, although it can be a bit tricky to set up. Your wiki can have this service. Please read the instructions. You can ask the team to help you enable citoid at your wiki.
20:56, 2 March 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
Time to bring embedded maps (‘mapframe’) to most Wikipedias
Please help translate to your language
Mapframe is a feature that enables users to easily display interactive maps right on wiki pages. Currently, most Wikipedias don’t have mapframe. But fifteen Wikipedias, along with all the other Wikimedia projects, are using mapframe today to display maps on thousands of pages.
A little background: over the last few months, the Foundation’s Collaboration team has been working to improve the stability and user experience of the maps service. In addition, a question about long-term support for the maps service was recently settled, and a small team has been assigned for routine maintenance. Given these developments, bringing the benefits of mapframe to Wikipedias that lack the feature seems both safe and supportable. Nine Wikipedias that use a stricter version of Flagged Revisions will not get mapframe in this release.
Maps are a valuable form of visual data that can improve readers’ understanding across a wide range of topics. If you know of any reasons why mapframe shouldn’t be implemented on your Wikipedia, let us know on the project talk page. Unless we hear from you, we plan to release mapframe to most Wikipedias in May, 2018. So, if you foresee an issue, please let us hear from you. Otherwise, happy mapping!
CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 21:38, 24 april 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
From May 8, AdvancedSearch
will be available as a beta feature
in your wiki. The feature enhances the search page
through an advanced parameters form and aims to make existing search options
more visible and accessible for everyone. AdvancedSearch is a project by WMDE Technical Wishes
. Everyone is invited to test the feature and we hope that it will serve you well in your work!
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 14:44, 7 মে' 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Wikigraphists Bootcamp (2018 India): Applications are open[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
Wikigraphists Bootcamp (2018 India) to be tentatively held in the last weekend of September 2018. This is going to be a three-day training workshop to equip the participants with the skills to create illustrations and digital drawings in SVG format, using software like Inkscape.
Minimum eligibility criteria to participate is as below:
- Active Wikimedians from India contributing to any Indic language Wikimedia projects.
- At least 1,500 global edits till 30 May 2018.
- At least 500 edits to home-Wikipedia (excluding User-space).
Please apply at the following link before 16th June 2018: Wikigraphists Bootcamp (2018 India) Scholarships.
MediaWiki message delivery (talk) 11:12, 12 June 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Update on page issues on mobile web[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
Update on page issues on mobile web
Please help translate to your language
Hi everyone. The Readers web team has recently begun working on exposing issue templates on the mobile website. Currently, details about issues with page content are generally hidden on the mobile website. This leaves readers unaware of the reliability of the pages they are reading. The goal of this project is to improve awareness of particular issues within an article on the mobile web. We will do this by changing the visual styling of page issues.
So far, we have drafted a proposal on the design and implementation of the project. We were also able to run user testing on the proposed designs. The tests so far have positive results. Here is a quick summary of what we learned:
- The new treatment increases awareness of page issues among participants. This is true particularly when they are in a more evaluative/critical mode.
- Page issues make sense to readers and they understand how they work
- Readers care about page issues and consider them important
- Readers had overwhelmingly positive sentiments towards Wikipedia associated with learning about page issues
Our next step would be to start implementing these changes. We wanted to reach out to you for any concerns, thoughts, and suggestions you might have before beginning development. Please visit the project page where we have more information and mockups of how this may look. Please leave feedback on the talk page.
CKoerner (WMF) (talk) 20:58, 12 June 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
The Parsing team will be replacing Tidy with RemexHtml at this wiki on 5 July 2018.
Some pages at this wiki use outdated HTML. This change may change the appearance of those pages. Special:LintErrors has a complete list of affected pages.
Read this e-mail message for more information. Read the instructions at mw:Help:Extension:Linter. You can ask questions at mw:Talk:Parsing/Replacing Tidy. Thank you for helping fix these problems.
m:User:Elitre (WMF) 14:38, 2 July 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Global preferences are available[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
19:19, 10 July 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.)
Consultation on the creation of a separate user group for editing sitewide CSS/JS[সম্পাদনা কৰক]
(Please help translate to your language)
I'm preparing a change in who can edit sitewide CSS/JS pages. (These are pages like
MediaWiki:Vector.js which are executed in the browser of all readers and editors.) Currently all administrators are able to edit these pages, which poses a serious and unnecessary security risk. Soon, a dedicated, smaller user group will take over this task. Your community will be able to decide who belongs in this group, so this should mean very little change for you. You can find out more and provide feedback at the consultation page on Meta. If you are involved in maintaining CSS/JS code, or policymaking around adminship requests, please give it a look!
Tgr (talk) 08:45, 12 July 2018 (ইউ.টি.চি.) (via global message delivery)